Pages

Monday, December 8, 2008

A Good Night's Sleep

I don’t watch much TV. In fact, the only thing I watch is the evening news. And as I watch the news I am reminded about every seven minutes why I don’t like TV. It, for the most part, is a big waste of time. While I think most of what is on TV, including the news, is a big waste of time—what I am referring to are the commercials that seem to pop up right on schedule every seven minutes. I hate commercials. First of all, I’m just not interested in what their selling and second, I hate interruptions.

But, since I am subjected to these mindless advertisements at least four times in a half hour news show I decided to analyze what “commercial America” is trying to sell me. What I have found is that everything they are trying to get me to sink my money in has some connection to the bedroom. Therefore, I am bombarded with the messages that if I will buy sleep medicine (Lunesta & Ambien) and a Serta sleep-by-the number mattress I will be a much happier person and really enjoy the American Dream. I’ll save the sexual enhancement products for another update.

I wonder when the old American Dream turned from being the opportunity to work hard in order to make something of yourself to having to pop pills in order to fall asleep on a specialty mattress. It seems to me that if people really worked hard in pursuing the old American Dream they wouldn’t need a medicine chest full of pills and specialty mattresses to pursue the new American Dream of simply trying to get a good nights sleep.

I know I am over simplifying the matter but I do think there is a connection between America’s inability to get to sleep and stay asleep and her unwillingness to fear the Lord. Proverbs 19:23 makes the point well:

“The fear of the LORD leads to life, so that one may sleep satisfied . . .”

I can’t help but think that there is a much cheaper and less intrusive way to get a good night’s sleep (barring any physiological problems or nursing babies) than buying the wares being sold on primetime TV. Just fear God to the point that you are obeying God and you’ll be so busy working hard during the day on a variety of things that you’ll sleep great at night.

No comments:


Pursuing the Glory of Christ as though He were the most important pursuit in all the world--Because He Is!

" Looking for the Blessed Hope and the appearing of The Glory of our Great God and Savior, Christ Jesus." Titus 2:13