Pages

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

The Regeneration of Charles Wesley

One of my favorite hymns, "And Can It Be That I Should Gain?", was written by Charles Wesley in May of 1738.  He wrote it two days after he was brought to saving faith in Christ.  What many Christians may be unaware of is that the words to this hymn are Wesley’s description of how God finally broke through his agonizing heart to bring him to saving faith in Christ.

You see, for several months Wesley, even while serving as an ordained minister of the Church of England as a missionary to Georgia in what is now the United States, knew he did not belong to Christ and that Christ did not belong to him.  He agonized over his lost condition but was unable to find assurance of salvation and the forgiveness of his sins regardless of how good and how hard he worked.  Out of desperation he sought the help of a Moravian preacher named Peter Bohler  who asked him, “Do you hope to be saved?”  “Yes”, replied Charles.  Bohler then asked him, “For what reason do you hope it?”.  “Because I have used my best endeavors to serve God.”  Bohler, realizing Charles was trying to produce his own salvation through his good works, shook his head and said no more to him.  And Charles, even more frustrated, exclaimed, “What?  Are not my endeavors a sufficient ground of hope?  Would he rob me of my endeavors?  I have nothing else to trust to.”

A few months later however, Charles did come to understand that his works were not enough to save him and so he began to pursue faith thinking that faith would save him.   But now the problem he was running into was that instead of seeking Christ—he was seeking faith.  Faith had become the new work, which he substituted for his former good works.  A glimpse at Charles’ journal reveals the struggle he was having.

May 13.  I waked without Christ; yet still desirous of finding Him . . .

May 14.  The beginning of the day I was very heavy, weary, and unable to pray. . . .I longed to find Christ. . . .

May 16.  I waked weary, faint and heartless . . . In the afternoon I seemed deeply sensible of my misery, in being without Christ.

May 19.  I received the sacrament, but not Christ . . . I looked for Him all night . . . I waked much disappointed, and continued all day in great dejection.

Then on May 21, everything changed.  After writing about the “violent opposition and reluctance to believe,” he was experiencing in his own soul as he considered the Gospel, God broke through and caused Charles’ unbelieving heart to finally see, believe, and receive the truth.  Here is how Charles described it:

“The Spirit of God strove with my own evil spirit, till by degrees He chased away the darkness of unbelief.  I found myself convinced, I knew not how or when, and immediately fell to intercession.”

Two days later he wrote the hymn which has become my favorite.  The words of the hymn come from his journal. 

And can it be that I should gain
An interest in the Saviour’s blood?
Died He for me, who caused His pain?
For me, who Him to death pursued?
Amazing love!  How can it be
That Thou, my God, shoul’st die for me!
 
Long my imprisoned spirit lay
Fast bound in sin and nature’s night;
Thine eye diffused a quick’ning ray;
I woke; the dungeon flamed with light;
My chains fell off, my heart was free,
I rose, went forth, and follow’d Thee.

Charles Wesley never forgot the day God ripped the scales of unbelief from the eyes of his heart and gave him sight so that he could see the beauty and magnificence of Christ so that in his heart of hearts he truly desired Christ and was now able to finally believe in Him for the salvation of his soul from the wrath of God for his sin.   A day in which he describes God as having “diffused a quickening ray” that woke him up and lit the dungeon of his soul with the divine light of regeneration so as to finally be able to see, love, and follow Christ.

The apostle Paul describes this day, this moment, this process, we all passed through who have been brought to saving faith in Christ as the day in which God “shone in our hearts to give the Light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ.” (2 Corinthians 4:6).  Just as God said on day one of the creation week, “Let there be light” and there was light—once He declared His Light to shine in our souls there was also light, and for the first time in our lives we were able to see the beauty and attraction of God in the face of Jesus Christ and we, like Charles Wesley, woke up, found our hearts free, rose, and went forth believing to follow Christ.  This is what it is to be regenerated or as Jesus calls it in John 3:3 to be born again.
 
 

No comments:


Pursuing the Glory of Christ as though He were the most important pursuit in all the world--Because He Is!

" Looking for the Blessed Hope and the appearing of The Glory of our Great God and Savior, Christ Jesus." Titus 2:13